Subject: Re: Coiled Cord
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 94 13:26:15 PDT

>>
>> What is the best way to make a coiled telephone cord. I'm sure I
>> read how to do it somewhere, but I can't remember.  I assume that
>> once it is created I can bend it into a more natural position.
>> Hints?
>>
>> --Doug
>
>  One way to do this is to create a spiral curve and rail extrude a
>disc object along that curve.  To create the curve, I would simply create
>an 8 sided disc and REMOVE the polygon.  You are left with 8 points.  If you
>created that flat disc in the YZ view, move each point, minus the first,
>toward the -X axis.  After you move the first group of points (7)
>deselect the point nearest the first point and move the rest, until all
>have been moved an equal amount.

	Probably a better way is to creat a flat disk, offset from 000, that
will be the crossection of the cord.  Then use CLONE with an axis offset, and
use skin to supply the outside of the cord.

	A little known feature of LWM is that clone objects are created in
such a way that skinning is very easy.

	Using this method you don't have to dick around with individual points.

***********************************************************************
*   (OOOOO)  [email-masked]  |  Synergy Graphix & Animation     *
*  (OOOOOOO)  Welcome to Seattle!  |   Film and Video Productions     *
*    \\\\\\    Have a latte'!      |Technical Subjects Our Specialty! *
*     \\\\\\                       |         (206) 283-3540           *
***********************************************************************